Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Cooking Light
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups baking potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat first 7 ingredients in a dry skillet over medium heat about 3 min or til fragrant, stirring often.
- Transfer to blender or food processor; add onion, vinegar, ginger, sugar, and garlic; process 2 min or til well blended.
- Combine pork and spice mixture in a glass bowl, tossing to coat. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven over med heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add half of pork mixture; cook 5 min or til pork begins to brown, stirring often.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Repeat process with cooking spray and remaining pork.
- Add broth to pan, scraping up brown bits.
- Add pork mixture to pan.
- Stir in potato, salt and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until potato is cooked and pork is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Hi Kitchenslave03! I found this in CL too, and I liked it a lot, and was going to post too. I did find the sauce delish, but a little thin, so the next time I added about 1/2 cup cream at the end (you could easily use fat free 1/2 and 1/2 to keep this low cal). And I added about 1/3 cup golden raisins about 45 mins into the simmering. To add to the "heat" I used red pepper flakes instead of the ground red pepper. This all made it a bit more rich and spicy. Next time I would double the sauce too, so I'll have lots left over to use on a grilled chicken breast the next day for lunch!