From Whole Foods Meals for 4 Under $15.
Make and share this Indian-Spiced Peas With Tofu recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, excess water removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 yellow onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen green peas, defrosted
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a cast iron or heavy saucepan, heat about 1" oil until hot but not smoking.
- Toss tofu cubes with corn starch and fry in a single layer until golden brown on all sides. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Let oil cool slightly and drain off all but about 1/4 cup.
- Reheat and sauté onions and ginger until onions are golden brown. Add garam masala and tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, peas and fried tofu, cover and lower heat, simmer an additional 10–15 minutes. Season to taste.