Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. I changed it slightly by added more lentils and sweet potatoes which makes it really thick, more like stew.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup dried split red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potato, and garlic. Cover and cook about 15 minute or until softened.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice.
- Stir in the ginger, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Add the lentils and water (or stock) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender (about 30 min).
- Add the cilantro, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Serve hot.
mmmm i love trying all the different lentil soups out there. this one is another yummy one. thanks