1/1 Photo of Indian-Spiced Lentil Soup
1 hr 25 mins
This recipe is from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson. I changed it slightly by added more lentils and sweet potatoes which makes it really thick, more like stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup dried split red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potato, and garlic. Cover and cook about 15 minute or until softened.
- 2Add the tomatoes and their juice.
- 3Stir in the ginger, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Add the lentils and water (or stock) and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender (about 30 min).
- 5Add the cilantro, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- 6Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian-Spiced Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 182.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 18.1 g