1/1 Photo of Indian-Spiced Kale & Chickpeas
Chickpeas make this exotic dish a terrific player in any vegetarian menu. From EatingWell: October/November 2005, "EatingWell Serves Two". Posted for ZWT8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1 1/2 lb kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala (see Ingredient note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3Add kale and cook, tossing with two large spoons, until bright green, about 1 minute.
- 4Add broth, coriander, cumin, garam masala and salt.
- 5Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in chickpeas; cover and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 7Tip: A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves. When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it--allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
- 8Ingredient Note: Garam masala, a ground spice mixture traditionally including coriander, cumin, cinnamon, peppercorns, cardamom and cloves, is commonly used in Indian cooking. Find it in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets.
- 9Carbohydrate Servings: 2.
- 10Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian-Spiced Kale & Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.5
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 531.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 10.4 g