Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This super-easy crunchy snack reminds us of spiced nuts - perfect for the movies, a mid-afternoon snack or in place of croutons in salads.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 31 ounces canned chick-peas
- 1 dash cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat a small pan over medium-high heat. Add oil, spices and salt and stir until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl. Add spice mixture and mix well to coat chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas on cookie sheet in a single layer and roast in oven until crunchy, checking and shaking pan twice during cooking, about 1 1/4 hours. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving. (Store any leftovers in an air-tight container.).
What a great, healthy snack. I took the note of jcmt and baked for 45 minutes, turning beans with a spatula every 15 minutes, and any longer would have resulted in burned chickpeas. I'll try cooking for a shorter time until I find what I consider perfect. I'll start doing this recipe a couple times a week, I'm sure, and I'll share these snacks with friends. Thanks much, Jan
After going back and forth about how to rate this recipe,I have decided for the time being to simply post comments. The first time I made this, there were some serious problems with the stated cooking time. Checked the chickpeas at 30 minutes and they were looking good and smelled terrific. By 45 minutes, the chickpeas were burnt and inedible. Had I stopped there, this would have been a rare for me 1 star review. But the smell of the curry and spices was so good I decided to give these another try, this time cooing them to 35 minutes. They were crispy crunchy and the flavor was as good as I anticipated from the smell. I did add some extra salt - but only because I tend to like my salty snacks fairly salty.