Recipe by evelyn/athens
I love the Indian way with spices. This dish is not only deliciously good for you.
Top Review by jordanrinke
This turned out really good, not as spicy as I was expecting but it worked really well. When I first tried a spoonfull it tasted a bit bland, I got side tracked and came back an hour later... huge difference, def needs a little time to meld together. Looking forward to having this for lunch tomorrow.
- 3 cups canned chickpeas, in their liquid
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into 2 by 1 inch strips
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain chickpeas, reserving 1 cup of liquid.
- In a blender of food processor, puree 1 cup of chickpeas with reserved liquid until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and garlic and cook over moderately-high heat, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and garlic is golden, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric.
- Add chickpea puree, bell peppers and jalapenos and season with 1 tsp salt.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining chickpeas, cover and simmer until the peppers are just tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- If stew is too thick, thin with a little water.