1/1 Photo of Indian Spiced Chicken & Spinach
K. Van Vleck's Note:
A variation of a Food & Wine Magazine favorite
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes longer.
- 3Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute, and then stir in the tomatoes.
- 4Add the cream, cinnamon stick, and water.
- 5Squeeze the spinach to remove excess liquid and add the spinach to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the chicken and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and simmer the stew until just done, about 10 minutes.
- 7Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Spiced Chicken & Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.7
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.0 mg
- Sodium 1165.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: