Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Rent a Bollywood flick to go with these nice and spicy burgers made with either ground chicken or lamb, slapped into a pita! Serve them up with a potato salad tossed with chickpeas and scallions and dressed with cumin, garlic, lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Times are estimates. Thanks to Rachael Ray for this adapted recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons curry paste (mild or hot-whichever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon or 2 pinches ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (can use regular, but Greek's best!)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- cilantro (a generous handful) or flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- mint (a generous handful)
- 4 leaves bibb lettuce, chopped (can use Boston lettuce)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 pita bread rounds
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Mix the ground chicken with the curry paste, grill seasoning, cinnamon, cumin and coriander and form into 4 large, ½” thick patties.
- Coat the patties with a little olive oil and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side (3 minutes on each side for lamb).
- In a food processor, blend the yogurt with the garlic, lemon juice, cilantro and mint until smooth.
- Season the lettuce and tomatoes with a little salt.
- Char the pitas on the grill, about 1 minute on each side, and cut about 1” off the tops.
- Open each pita and fill with a patty, a quarter of the chopped lettuce and sliced tomatoes and a generous spoonful of the yogurt sauce.