Recipe by cookiecutter
This is zesty take on chicken. It is very fragrant. Taken from Food and Wine Magazine, thought I'd share.
Top Review by m0m
Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off. This dish comes together easily and is WONDERFUL. I use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of heavy cream and fresh tomatoes and fresh spinach.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seed and ribs removed, minced
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups rice, prepare according to directions
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for two minutes longer. Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute, and then stir in the jalapenos and tomatoes. Add the cream, cinnamon stick, and water. Squeeze the spinach to remove excess liquid and add the spinach to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut each breast into 3 strips. Stir in the chicken and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover, and simmer the stew until just done, about 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
- Serve over rice.