Prep 8 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great soup with an exotic flavor from the april 2008 bon appetit
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil or 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime peel, finely grated
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- plain yogurt (for garnish)
- Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill or blender to fine powder.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute.
- Add ginger; stir 1 minute.
- Add next 3 ingredients.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; saute until onions start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add 5 cups of broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick.
- Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with yogurt.
YUMMY! FYI: I doubled the spice and added cumin...