Recipe by goldensfurever
Very yummy spicy potato cakes. Perfect for grilled chicken, pork, fish, even steak! Feel free to play around with spices to your taste! Taken from the cooking light August 2007 issue.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups peeled shredded baking potatoes (I used the pre-packaged ones in the dairy case)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds to pan; cook 2 minutes or until mustard seeds pop, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place spice mixture and salt in a mortar; crush seeds with a pestle and set aside.
- Gently squeeze potato to remove excess moisture.
- Combine potato, spice mixture, parsley, 2 tablespoons of oil, tumeric, and peppers in a large bowl, and whatever other spices you may add.
- Divide mixture evenly into 10 portions, about 1/3 cup. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Flatten to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Bake at 400°F for 16 minutes or until golden. Turn over; bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream.