Recipe courtesy Aarti Sequeira as seen on Aarti Party. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT. Recipe notes: "There are entire shops dedicated to this snack mix in India, and it's one of our treasured snacks. The last time I was in India, we all walked to a neighborhood pub, ordered a pitcher of beer, and chowed down on a big bowl of Chewda. It usually consists of chickpea flour noodles, flattened flakes of dried rice, peanuts and seasonings. Here's my Americanized version. Careful. Once you start... it's really hard to stop!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups corn cereal, Corn Flakes
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal, Rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup skinless peanuts, shelled
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 -10 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 1/2 green serrano chili, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small handful plantain chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- kosher salt
- 1In a large wok over medium heat, toast the corn cereal, puffed rice cereal, peanuts, and pepitas until the cereals have crisped up, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- 2Warm the oil in the same wok over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds (stand back, they'll pop!), curry leaves, green chile, and turmeric. Cook about 30 seconds. Turn the heat off.
- 3Add the cereal mixture, plantain chips, if using, and raisins.
- 4Season with salt. Toss until well combined, and pour into a big bowl.
- 5Crack a beer and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Snack Mix (Chewda)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.0
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: