Recipe by MaryMc
I found this recipe somewhere online, printed it off, and promptly forgot the source. When I went to use it, I realized that there were a couple of rather important items referred to in the directions that weren't in the ingredients list--the butter and the sugar! So I guessed at the amounts, and if the original, correct recipe was better, then I'd like to taste it, because this version is great!
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 pinch mace
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut potatoes in 1-inch cubes.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until half-done, 8-10 minutes.
- Make a paste of spices (except bay leaves and red pepper), and yogurt.
- Toss potatoes in it to coat.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized, heavy dutch over or casserole.
- Add bay leaves and red pepper, stir over low heat for a few minutes Add sugar.
- Stir until sugar just begins to caramelize and turn golden.
- Add potatoes, stir and toss gently.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.