Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yogurt-based prawn curry. For garam masala, use your favorite recipe. There are several recipes here at Food.com.
- 566.99 g medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails intact)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 9.85 ml fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4.92 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 36.97 ml canola oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 473.18 ml basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml Greek yogurt, plain
- 118.29 ml cilantro leaf, chopped
- Place prawns in a bowl with garlic, ginger, spices, 2 teaspoons oil and some salt and pepper. Stir well to coat, then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a wok or frypan over medium-high heat. Add prawns and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the remaining 1 tbs oil to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, then add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the tomato, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes until tomato is softened.
- Return prawns to pan with yoghurt and coriander, then warm through, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Season to taste, then serve with rice.
My whole family loved this recipe, even grandmother and picky kids. It was not spicy but extremely flavorful. I think boxed Pomi tomatoes might have provided a bit more sauce, but I liked that all recommended ingredients were fresh. I used garam masala from Asian market.
This is as good or better than you could get in an expensive restaurant. I LOVE that it didn't call for some special, ready made, curry sauce but used things I most always have on hand. A wonderful lively curry that won't burn your ears off but lets you really enjoy all of the flavors. Super star recipe. Made for PAC, Spring 2014.
Excellent shrimp curry! I used an organic garam masala mix which is quite mild and made a perfect match with the yoghurt. Also, like Karen Elizabeth, I poached the shrimps in the sauce - accidentally, because in a dim moment I threw the onions into the frypan first and then thought I'd just go ahead. Thanks for another winner, Mike!
Made for ZWT 8 / India for the Lively Lemon Lovelies