These patties have a lovely blend of Indian spices, with a soft, almost-creamy interior and a crispy coating. You can sandwich them between burgers for a nutritious vegetarian burger, or dip them into a green chutney. I have not included it in the recipe but I really REALLY suggest adding about 1/4cup cooked soft chana dal to the patties - the firm texture of the chana against the soft texture of the patties is wonderful.
- 5 ounces green beans (sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and grated)
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, crumbs of
- 4 ounces new potatoes, boiled until soft
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Steam the beans and carrots, covered, until very soft, slightly salted water. Stir occasionally and make sure there is enough water to keep them from scalding until they are tender-soft.
- Drain off any excess water.
- Combine all ingredients except oil and combine well in a food processor or mash together by hand.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as per your preference. (You may add some green chillies or more garam masala if you prefer more heat, or more mango powder if you want it tangy).
- Divide into equal portions and shape into 3/4 inch patties, and chill for a few minutes to help them firm up better.
- Heat oil, add patties, and brown undisturbed for 1-2 minutes before flipping over.
- Cook for 1 minute periods on each side until they are crisp golden brown on the outside.
- If desired, garnish with lemon wedges and serve with a green dipping chutney on the side.
- (I have made this and included some leftover boiled mung dal in the potato mixture, which works rather well in this - I am sure any lentil would work equally great as well, it is a recommended addition).
The flavor is really nice but they did not fry properly at all. The patties stayed sticky and gooey on the sides and eventually just turned back into the original mash in the pan. I will try to make these again with some of the suggestions in the other comments. The recipe as is makes a nice stew-like dish that can be served with rice but definitely not patties.
made them with out mashed potatoes for my Diabetic husband. Added mashed channa instead. these were a Big Hit my family ate them up and were looking for more.
Very good- loved this with the chana. The carrots made them a tad sweeter than I would like, but otherwise these were great. I streamlined these by coarsely chopping the potatoes, using whole baby carrots, and tossing them with the green beans in the microwave until soft. No need to boil, peel, chop, slice. I have a triple batch in the micro now made with wax beans. Will cook them up and freeze them. Thanks for the recipe!