I just got this in an email from Veg Times, and I'm posting here for safekeeping. Sounds like a bit of work but also sounds delish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar or 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2Whisk together flours and salt in bowl. Stir in oil until clumps form. Add 6 to 10 Tbs. cold water, 1 Tbs. at a time, until dough holds together. Shape into ball, cover with damp towel, and set aside.
- 3To make Filling:.
- 4Stir together mustard seeds, curry, ginger, cumin, and red pepper flakes, if using, in bowl; set aside.
- 5Cook potatoes in boiling salted water 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain, return to pot, and mash, leaving small chunks.
- 6Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until carrot is tender. Move onion mixture to side of pan, and add mustard seed mixture in center. Toast 30 seconds. Stir in peas and broth. Fold onion mixture into potato mixture; stir in agave nectar. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 7Spread Filling in 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.
- 8Roll out Crust dough to 11-inch circle on floured work surface. Cover Filling with dough, pressing down to make sure no air pockets remain. Trim away excess dough, and crimp edges with fingers. Cut X in center to vent steam; brush with soymilk just before baking. Place pie on baking sheet, and bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 9Frozen cooking instructions: Preheat oven to 375°F Place casserole on baking sheet, and bake 75 to 90 minutes, or until Filling bubbles and Crust is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Samosa Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 236.4
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 138.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth