Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This filling in this recipe from Vegetarian Times is very close to that of authentic Indian samosas. I am including the recipe for whole wheat pie crust given in the magazine but I personally would prefer it made with my usual white flour crust or something closer to a real samosa crust.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk (Soy milk may be substituted)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the crust, whisk together the flours and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in the oil until clumps form.
- Add 6 to 10 tablespoons cold water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough holds together.
- Shape into a ball, cover with a damp towel and set aside.
- To make the filling, stir together the mustard seeds, curry powder, ginger, cumin and red pepper flakes in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, return to the pot, and mash, leaving small chunks.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic and saute 5 minutes, or until the carrot is tender.
- Move the onion mixture to one side of the pan and add the mustard seed mixture in the centre.
- Toast for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the peas and broth.
- Fold the onion mixture into the potatoes and stir in the sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spread the filling in a 9" pie dish and set aside.
- Roll out the crust to an 11" circle on a floured work surface.
- Cover the filling with the crust, pressing down to make sure no air pockets remain.
- Trim away the excess dough and crimp the edges.
- Cut an X in the centre to vent the steam and brush with milk before baking.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.