Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
from Robin Robertson's 'Rice & Spice'
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- Place the rice, soy milk, coconut milk and sugar in saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is very soft.
- Add cardamom, salt, rose water, almonds and the cornstarch mixture and simmer for 5 minutes longer or until smooth and creamy.
- Stir, then taste and adjust seasoning in necessary.
- Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.
This was delicious! I will be making it again. I wasn't too crazy about the texture of basmati as a rice pudding so I'll cheat and use jasmine next time.
Wonderful dairy free version of this pudding! Made it with rice milk, rice syrup and arrowroot starch. Delicious - will make this again! Thanks for posting :) Made for India - More Than Just Curries March 2010.