Recipe by Pesto lover
ZWT 6. This recipe is from James McNair's Rice Cookbook. I love the smell of the rosewater in this dish. I use a large nonstick saucepan for this dish.
- 1 cup long grain rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pistachios (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice well, soak in water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain rice.
- In medium sized saucepan, combine the drained rice with the 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a large saucepan and add half and half or light cream, sugar and cardamom. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, until the liquir is absorbed, about 1 hour, stirring frequently to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the rosewater and most of the pistachios, reserving some for garnish.
- Serve at room temperature or cover and chill. Garnish with remaining pistachios before serving.