1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Pesto lover's Note:
ZWT 6. This recipe is from James McNair's Rice Cookbook. I love the smell of the rosewater in this dish. I use a large nonstick saucepan for this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the rice well, soak in water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain rice.
- 2In medium sized saucepan, combine the drained rice with the 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- 3Transfer rice to a large saucepan and add half and half or light cream, sugar and cardamom. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, until the liquir is absorbed, about 1 hour, stirring frequently to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- 4Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- 5Stir in the rosewater and most of the pistachios, reserving some for garnish.
- 6Serve at room temperature or cover and chill. Garnish with remaining pistachios before serving.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Rice Pudding - Kheer
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.9
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.5 mg
- Sodium 101.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 25.9 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: