1/2 Photos of Indian Ratatouille
1 hr 5 mins
This is an intriguing twist on a classic, Indian spices combined with Mediterrran flavors. A mini food processor works really well for chopping the garlic, chile, and ginger root. Serve on rice or orzo or accompanied by a crusty loaf of bread. Adapted from Moosewood Restaraunt New Classics cookbook. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper, minced,seeded for a milder hot
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch of crumbled saffron (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 5 cups cubed eggplants, 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups cubed zucchini or 4 cups yellow squash or 4 cups pattypan squash
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell peppers
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1In a stew pot, saute the onions in the oil on medium heat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in the garlic, chile, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, and saffron and saute for a minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Add the orange juice and eggplant, toss to coat with the spices, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the eggplant is barely tender.
- 4Add the squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, and basil.
- 5Cover and continue to simmer about 15 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender.
- 6Add a little more orange juice or water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- 7Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 8If you like, add a dollop of plain yogurt to each serving and top with fresh basil and a few toasted almonds or pistachios.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Ratatouille
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.9
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 405.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g