Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
Good cold weather dessert. From an old issue of Real Simple.
Make and share this Indian Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F Butter a large casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring 3 cups of the milk to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and the cornmeal. Whisking constantly, slowly add the mixture to the boiling milk. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in molasses, butter, brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Set the casserole in a roasting pan, pull the oven rack out halfway, and place the pan on it. Carefully add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the casserole. Cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour, remoge the foil and bake for another 90 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve with whipping cream.
I saw this exact recipe in Real Simple Magazine and couldn't wait to try it! It was delicious (my guests and DH compared to it pumpkin pie) - great texture and taste :) Thank you so much for posting!