Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is in answer to a request on the forums. It is an old New England favorite and real commfort food.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine milk and cornmeal in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, whisking; reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in molasses, flour and seasonings, then yolks.
- (Can be made ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature up to 1 hour.) Whisk in baking powder.
- Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl to soft peeks.
- Fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until center is just set.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and maple syrup.
I loved this, but I gave it a four because the gingerbread flavor was not popular with everyone. I liked how most of the preparation was in one pan, and the smell while it baked was wonderful!