Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a delicious version of an old New England recipe.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 cups hot milk
- vanilla ice cream (for topping)
- Mix the cornmeal and the molasses, sugar, butter salt, baking soda, eggs, and spices.
- Add 3 cups of the hot milk, stirring carefully.
- Place in a 2-quart bean pot or other covered pot and bake in a 400°F oven until all comes to a boil.
- Then stir the remaining hot mild and bake, covered at 275°F for 4 to 6 hours, or until all is absorbed.
- Stir every half hour.
- Serve hot in little bowls with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top.
I make this recipe without the cinnamon or the nutmeg. It is fantastic and well worth the effort.