Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this dessert on the table. It was always served with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Note that while this is referred to as a pudding, it is not a creamy texture. It's similar to a thick "cream of wheat" when done. Definitely a different dish, hope you enjoy.
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Blend sugar with baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, molasses and cold milk.
- Cook cornmeal and HOT milk until thick.
- Combine the two mixtures.
- Pour into a buttered baking bowl.
- Bake 275 for 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally while baking, adding more milk if it gets too thick.
- Add 1/4 cup butter during cooking time.
- While we enjoyed this dish warm, it is supposed to set in the fridge and be served chilled.
- Be sure to top with whipped cream!