Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from the Thursday magazine. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2.46 ml black mustard seeds
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml coriander seed
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 2.46 ml fennel seed
- 3 cm fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, peeled,washed and sliced
- 29.58 ml light muscovado sugar
- 44.37 ml plain fat-free yogurt
- 150 g onions, peeled,washed and roughly chopped
- 9.85 ml paprika
- 250 g peeled prawns
- 9.85 ml tamarind paste
- 14.79 ml tomato puree
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 29.58 ml pure wesson canola oil
- 14.79 ml white wine vinegar
- Blend the yogurt, onions, garlic and ginger together with 4 tbsps.
- of water in a blender to make a paste.
- Keep aside.
- Heat a wok on high flame until it is very hot.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and corriander seeds for about 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop.
- Add oil, black mustard seeds, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Cook gently for a minute but be very careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the yogurt paste and fry gently for 10 minutes or until golden, taking care not to burn it.
- Add the muscavado sugar, vinegar, tomato puree and tamarind juice to the fried mixture.
- Add some water if necessary until you get a fairly thick consistency.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and salt to taste.
- Simmer until heated through and be careful not to overcook the prawns.
- Serve hot.