Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from the Thursday magazine. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 0.33 lb onions, peeled,washed and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 0.55 lb peeled prawns
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons pure wesson canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Blend the yogurt, onions, garlic and ginger together with 4 tbsps.
- of water in a blender to make a paste.
- Keep aside.
- Heat a wok on high flame until it is very hot.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and corriander seeds for about 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop.
- Add oil, black mustard seeds, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Cook gently for a minute but be very careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the yogurt paste and fry gently for 10 minutes or until golden, taking care not to burn it.
- Add the muscavado sugar, vinegar, tomato puree and tamarind juice to the fried mixture.
- Add some water if necessary until you get a fairly thick consistency.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and salt to taste.
- Simmer until heated through and be careful not to overcook the prawns.
- Serve hot.