Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from the Thursday magazine. Hope you enjoy it!
Make and share this Indian Prawn Patia recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 150 g onions, peeled,washed and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 250 g peeled prawns
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons pure wesson canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Blend the yogurt, onions, garlic and ginger together with 4 tbsps.
- of water in a blender to make a paste.
- Keep aside.
- Heat a wok on high flame until it is very hot.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and corriander seeds for about 30 seconds until the seeds start to pop.
- Add oil, black mustard seeds, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Cook gently for a minute but be very careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the yogurt paste and fry gently for 10 minutes or until golden, taking care not to burn it.
- Add the muscavado sugar, vinegar, tomato puree and tamarind juice to the fried mixture.
- Add some water if necessary until you get a fairly thick consistency.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and salt to taste.
- Simmer until heated through and be careful not to overcook the prawns.
- Serve hot.