A great side dish, can be a vegetarian main dish also. Has been served at tea time in India as a snack, too! Oil-free, more low-fat cooking with high flavor! :)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 serrano chilies, split lengthwise
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat cumin seeds and mustard seed in hot dry skillet over high heat, swirling pan, until seeds start to pop.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onions, chilies, and add a small amount of water; cook until onion is tender, adding more water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add potatoes, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt (to taste), and cayenne pepper, stirring to mix well.
- Add 2/3 cup water, cover, reduce heat and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spices are absorbed and potatoes are tender.
- Add a small amount of water at a time if all liquid evaporates.
- Fold in cilantro just before serving.