Recipe by tigerduck
This is my adapted version from an Indian cookbook. The recipe this is based on uses the same amount of fresh dill as potatoes. I did not have as much dill on hand, so I made it as printed below. I also reduced the amount of garlic slightly (original uses 5), so add more garlic if desired. This potato dish is the perfect accompaniment to an Indian-style roasted chicken along with some raita. Yummy!
- 500 g potatoes, peeled (1 lb)
- 100 g fresh dill
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use sunflower)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 pinches asafoetida powder
- 2 dried chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peeled potatoes into 1 inch cubes and cook them in salted water (potatoes need to be completely covered) for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Wash the fresh dill. Remove any hard stems. Chop roughly.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry garlic on low heat for 30 seconds. Add turmeric, mustard seeds, asafoetida and whole dried chillies, cover until the mustard seeds have popped.
- Add the potatoes and mix. Add chopped dill. Fry uncovered for ca 5 minutes.
- Remove the chillies before serving.