Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The taste of the cauliflower varies from the potatoes in this brightly colored, tasty dish. Makes an excellent vegetarian main dish.
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 fresh chilies, minced (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 5⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- Steam cauliflower until tender; set aside.
- Peel potatoes; chop into 1/2" cubes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet; add 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 2 tsp ground coriander; heat briefly until mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add onions to pan and cook until onions are tender.
- Add potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt to pan, mixing spices onto potatoes; then add 1 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, adding more water if necessary.
- When cauliflower is steamed, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another skillet; add 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin seed, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Heat spices until they sizzle, then stir in 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/8 tsp salt.
- Cook until mixture becomes pasty, then stir in cauliflower, coating vegetables with sauce.
- Continue cooking both cauliflower and potato mixtures until they have a fairly dry consistency.
- Stir cauliflower into potatoes; mix in chopped cilantro; sprinkle top with garam masala and serve.
Tried this last night and half way through, I thought it was going to be another one of my cooking disasters but thankfully it turned out beautifully. Got compliments as well! Great recipe!!!
This is the best indian food I've ever had. I want more recipes like this.
I was really looking forward to this, but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. It was not easy to make, but it had a great aroma that made me think it was going to be great. In the end, I found it both lacked flavor and was too spicey - an odd combination. Maybe the solution would be to add more salt and cut down on the chiles.