Sue Lau's Note:
The taste of the cauliflower varies from the potatoes in this brightly colored, tasty dish. Makes an excellent vegetarian main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 fresh chilies, minced (to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 5/8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 -2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1Steam cauliflower until tender; set aside.
- 2Peel potatoes; chop into 1/2" cubes.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet; add 1 teaspoon cumin seed, 3/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp cayenne, and 2 tsp ground coriander; heat briefly until mixture becomes fragrant.
- 4Add onions to pan and cook until onions are tender.
- 5Add potatoes and 1/2 tsp salt to pan, mixing spices onto potatoes; then add 1 cup water.
- 6Cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, adding more water if necessary.
- 7When cauliflower is steamed, heat 1 tbsp of oil in another skillet; add 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin seed, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- 8Heat spices until they sizzle, then stir in 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/8 tsp salt.
- 9Cook until mixture becomes pasty, then stir in cauliflower, coating vegetables with sauce.
- 10Continue cooking both cauliflower and potato mixtures until they have a fairly dry consistency.
- 11Stir cauliflower into potatoes; mix in chopped cilantro; sprinkle top with garam masala and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Potatoes with Cauliflower - Aloo Gobi
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.9
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 499.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 7.9 g