1/1 Photo of Indian Potatoes Cooked With Ginger: Labdharay Aloo
1 hr 15 mins
This popular potato dish from Delhi, is eaten at school lunches, picnics and simple home meals is generally served with bread, such as deep fried pooris, and a selection of pickles. You can also serve it with pitta bread, yoghurt, a green vegetable and a chicken or meat dish. Those who are cooking Western meals will find that these potatoes taste quite wonderful with simple roast lamb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs potatoes, 1 kg
- 3 inches fresh ginger, about
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large tomatoes, 12 oz/350g
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, 60 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder, more if needed (cayenne pepper)
- 3/4-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1Boil the potatoes in their skins. Drain them and let them cool. Peel them and cut them into 1-inch dice.
- 2Peel the ginger and chop it coarsely. Place it with 4 Tbs. of water into the container of a food processor or blender. Blend.
- 3Chop the tomatoes into very small pieces. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, sauté pan or wide-based pan over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the whole cumin seeds, nigella seeds, and fenugreek seeds. Stir once and put in the ginger paste from the food processor or blender as well as the turmeric. Stir for 1 minutes. Add the tomatoes. Continue to stir and cook until the tomatoes have turned paste-like. Add the ground cumin, ground coriander and chilli powder. Stir once or twice. Now put in the potatoes, 1 ¼ cups of water and the salt. Mix well and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Serves 6.
- 4Madhur Jaffrey.A Taste of India.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Potatoes Cooked With Ginger: Labdharay Aloo
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.9
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 307.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: