Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but it sure sounds good. I will try it soon.
Make and share this Indian Potatoes - Aloo Kurma recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dry coconut powder (dessicated coconut, ground)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Put oil into skillet and add mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to sputter, add onion, garlic and ginger. Saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and peas and cook until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add potatoes, salt, red chile powder, coconut powder, turmeric and garam masala. Add 1/4 c water. Cook, covered, over med heat until potatoes are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with cilantro leaves as garnish.
Amazing! I used red skin potatoes and only used 2 chopped tomatoes, and substituted cayenne for the red chili powder, and it came out fantastic. The potatoes were cooked perfectly and the spices in this made it truly delicious. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT8.
So good! I've made this recipe several times now. Stopped using the coconut after the first time because as another reviewer stated we couldn't taste it anyway. I do have to cut back on the red chili powder. If you're using the pure red chili powder and not the typical blend of spices labeled "chili powder", as I do, this is pretty hot. For the tomatoes I use a can of diced tomatoes. Absolutely delicious and a regular in our house now. Thanks for posting!
This was very nice. I will be using it in my regular rotations. I used coconut cream instead of powdered coconut and I added a few extra spices that I incorporated from other alu matar recipes (2 bay leaves, 2 green cardamom pods, 4 curry leaves, 1 cinamon stick, 1 teaspoon of corainder powder, 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder and 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder and 1/2 a teaspoon more of mustard seeds and cumin seeds) and abit more peas and potatoes. It tasted very nice this way (i like things spicier) but I think it still would have been very nice even without the extra spices.