This is my bulk recipe for quick and easy Indian potato pancakes. Aloo Tikki is a popular North Indian pan-fried potato cake. It makes a terrific snack or side dish when served with a coriander-mint yogurt sauce. Just mix 1 cup mixture with one egg and 1/2 cup milk... throw in fresh onion, cilantro or frozen peas if desired... then fry in butter.
- 5 cups instant potato flakes
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons dried chives
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- COMBINE all ingredients well; STORE airtight in a cool, dry place.
- TO PREPARE 4 - 5 SERVINGS: Shake instant potato pancake mix before opening. Into a small mixing bowl, add 1 cup of this dry mix.
- BEAT one egg with 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, then add to dry mix; STIR.
- LET stand 10 minutes.
- STIR again (if desired, stir in 1 tablespoon defrosted frozen peas and/or fresh chopped onion and minced cilantro).
- PLACE disposable kitchen gloves over each hand (to protect hands and nails from turmeric staining).
- SCOOP mixture using an ice cream scoop, into other hand; SHAPE into 4 - 5 one-inch-thick patties as shown in photo.
- PLACE patties onto a heated, buttered skillet over medium-low heat; FRY until golden brown; TURN and fry until other side is golden brown.
- DRAIN on paper towels.
- SERVE hot, with a coriander-mint chutney with or without plain yogurt and ENJOY!