I absolutely loved these as a kid, and I still do today. Boneless porkchops work best for this recipe. I use a short grain stickie rice so it stays moist. EDITED May 30, 2007 to correct amount of salt!
- Grease 10 x 13 dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Note - If using regular table salt, reduce amount by at least half.
- In a large skillet, sprinkle pork chops with spices, brown in oil and drain. Set aside.
- Mix rice and mushroom soup.
- Slice onions into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices and slice tomatoes into 1/2" thick slices.
- Put pork chops into baking dish and spread onion slices out on top. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt over the onions.
- Place the tomato slices over the onions and sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt on them as well.
- Spread the rice mixture over the tomatoes. I drop by large spoonfuls and just sort of press into place so the tomatoes are not rearranged.
- Bake, uncovered. For 3/4" thick pork chops, bake for 3/4 of an hour. For 1" thick pork chops, bake for 1 hour.
- Serve with a spatula leaving the onions, tomatoes and rice in place on top of the pork chops.