Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This relish is a nice side dish with Indian chicken dishes. A prominent note in its flavor is that of ginger, so reduce the amount of ginger if you would like its flavor to be more subdued in this dish. A variation on this would be to use mangoes instead of the pineapple, if you prefer.
- Drain pineapple but reserve the juice, chop finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard seeds immediately to it.
- As soon as it begins to sputter, add cumin and onion seeds.
- Add ginger and chilies and saute for about a minute until just aromatic.
- Add the pineapples, raisins, sugar and salt.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of pineapple juice (use the reserved juice and make it up to 1 1/4 cups using water if needed).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
This is superb both with Indian or American food. Did not have onion seed but everything else was exactly as stated. It was okay at first taste but after the favors married overnight, kalblam! Out of this world! Made for Indian meal but I am serving leftover with ham tonight and I know it is going to be killer! Thank you for a great recipe!oh, and its easy too...