Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy rice recipe to serve with any Indian curry dish. It's important to rinse the rice thoroughly and not skip the 30 minutes soaking time. From Cooking School India Cookbook
- Rinse the basmati rice for several changes of water, until the water runs clear.
- Leave the rice to soak for 30 minutes. Drain and then set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat the ghee in a large heavy-based saucepan.
- Add the cardamons, cloves and peppercorns. Fry, stirring for one minute.
- Add the rice andstir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add theremaining ingredients to the rice mixture and reduce the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and leave to simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, until all the water has evaporated.
- Transfer the rice to a large, warmed serving dish and serve hot.
Easy and good. I use this as a base for a lot of dishes. Try adding a few slivers of almonds and a few golden raisins, yum
Perfect rice. Recipe is totally fool proof. Served with plain yoghurt and cold chicken, this made for a delicious meal. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap Nov 2013.