I love okra, and when I ran across this recipe while preparing for ZWT8, just knew I had to try it. "Minimal spices and clean flavors are the key factors that make today’s dish an all time favorite. Okra aka Bhindi aka Bendakaya is a much cherished Indian vegetable. This Andhra style okra fry recipe is great because of its simplicity and tantalizing flavors. The tempering ingredients along with the roasting of the okra yield an incredible flavor. Do try this Indian vegetable recipe which makes for a delectable side with rice and sambar or pappu pulusu and rotis" From Sailu's Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce heat to medium flame, add the mustard seeds, let them splutter, add the cumin seeds and let them brown. Add the curry leaves, dry red chilies and garlic cloves, stir them for few seconds.
- 2Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add the okra and turmeric pwd and combine. Saute on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Reduce to low flame, add a tbsp of yogurt or lemon juice (to reduce slime) and let it cook for 4-5 mts. Stir occasionally so that they don't burn.
- 3Reduce flame and cook till the okra turns soft. This could take about 15-20 mts of slow roasting. Season with salt and turn off flame.
- 4Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Okra Fry (Bhindi)
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.0
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: