Prep 5 mins
Cook 36 hrs
An oil fused with garam masala, coriander, cardamom, fennel, allspice, curry and chili. Cooking time includes allowing the oil to sit for 3 days in a cool, dark place before using. Can be stored for up to 3 months.
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pod
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 small dried chili, lightly crushed with the back of a spoon
- 3 cups canola oil or 3 cups peanut oil
- Place the spices and oil in a sterilized bottle.
- Seal and leave for 3 days in a cool, dark place.
- Strain into a 3 cup sterilized bottle.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
Love the idea of this oil. I made 1/3 of a batch, and wish I had used the full amount of spices. For the first usage, I tossed the oil with potatoes that I then roasted. The final flavour was lovely but too subtle. Lightly crushing the seeds, pods, berries and leaves might bring out the flavours more, too. My photo was taken prior to the straining. Thanks for a great recipe that I will play around with a bit more.