Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmangli. I haven't tried it yet but it looks so good.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Oh my gosh!!! This is so good! Very creamy and the spicing is just beautiful as well as the looks of it with the dried rose petals on top! I did not use poppy seeds though because I think they may have some intoxicant properties and we do not consume intoxicants. I thought this recipe looked kind of odd but I enjoy nut milks as I don't consume dairy milks and had just purchased some dried rose petals from an Iranian shop so this was my first recipe to use them in. I do suggest straining this drink/milk if you make it for company as there is residue that sits on the bottom of the glass otherwise. I had no cashews on hand so just left them out, but followed the rest of the nuts, I substituted creamed honey for the cane sugar and raw agave to be healthier, I used a bit less freshly ground black pepper, used spring water as we do not consume soy, and garnished with only dried Damascus rose petals but the cinnamon stick in there would look gorgeous. I may make this again with or without cashews and strain it.
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar or 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 3 cups chilled water or 3 cups soymilk
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3-inch )
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint or 4 sprigs lemon verbena
- 1 tablespoon organic dried rose petals
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet and toast all the spices over medium heat for 1 minute, until aromatic (Have a cover handy to stop any seeds from flying out).
- Grind the spices in a spice grinder.
- Reheat the skillet and toast the nuts for 1 minute and then grind them in a food processor.
- Add the ground spices and the rest of the ingredients (up to garnish), then puree until you have a smooth creamy mixture.
- Serve in individual glasses with 2 ice cubes, stir with a cinnamon stick and garnish with mint leaves or a few rose petals.