Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey by Najmieh Batmangli. I haven't tried it yet but it looks so good.
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar or 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 3 cups chilled water or 3 cups soymilk
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3-inch )
- 4 sprigs fresh mint or 4 sprigs lemon verbena
- 1 tablespoon organic dried rose petals
- Heat a large skillet and toast all the spices over medium heat for 1 minute, until aromatic (Have a cover handy to stop any seeds from flying out).
- Grind the spices in a spice grinder.
- Reheat the skillet and toast the nuts for 1 minute and then grind them in a food processor.
- Add the ground spices and the rest of the ingredients (up to garnish), then puree until you have a smooth creamy mixture.
- Serve in individual glasses with 2 ice cubes, stir with a cinnamon stick and garnish with mint leaves or a few rose petals.