Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
From cooks.com posted for ZWT8 Guessing on prep and cooking times!!
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 small cloves
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ghurum masala (add the ghurum masala after the curry is cooked by stirring it in before serving)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil, if needed cooking meat filling (follows)
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup water
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and quickly pour in oil and water. Stir briskly until combined, gradually adding more water if necessary. You should aim for a slightly moist dough that sticks together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, cover with damp towel.
- To assemble samosa:.
- break off pieces of dough (leaving what's left under the towel and shape into balls.
- Roll each ball into a circle about 1/10 of an inch thick and 5 inches across.
- Cut the circle in half. In one side put filling, fold half of the half circle over to make a triangle.
- Seal by brushing a bit of water along the edges and pinching it together with your finger.
- Heat 2 inches oil in a skillet or pan to 375 degrees. Put in samosas and let it fry to a golden brown on each side. Then drain on cloth or paper towel and eat.
- MEAT FILLING:.
- Crush ginger and garlic.
- Combine all ingredients in a large skillet or pan and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a bit of oil if meat is too lean to grease the pan.
- When meat is well browned, drain off any excess fat, set aside until ready to fill pastry.