There are many versions of this tea. This is a good one from Food & Wine magazine. This would also make lovely gifts. Just package up the dry ingredients and write out the directions!
- In a mortar, crush the cloves, cardamom pods and cinnamon, or use a coffee grinder.
- Transfer the crushed spices to a small saucepan, add the water, ginger and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and sugar to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the tea.
- Cover and let steep for 3 minutes.
- Stir the chai, then strain it into a warmed teapot or directly into teacups.