Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A north Indian dish perfect to be served over rice or bread dipped into that I adjusted from the Indian Betty Crocker Cookbook. I often cook this the night before, refrigerate, and then continue cooking the next day, adding the garam masaala, cream and cilantro later.
- 15 ounces black beans
- 6 cups water
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat whipping cream
- Rinse beans.
- Put beans and 4 cups of water into large pot. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in remaining water, mush beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- While beans are simmering, add cooking spray to pan and stir-fry garlic and ginger till golden brown.
- Stir in tomato sauce and all spices except garam masaala and cilantro and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture to beans, mush beans and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add garam masaala and whipping cream and boil down till consistency is to your liking.
- Add cilantro and serve.