Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From start to finish, you can have lentil soup in less than 30 minutes. I have to say my daughter doesn't enjoy the mint and coconut in it so we serve hers without!
- 8 medium green onions, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth or 5 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint leaves
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- Spray 3-quart saucepan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook green onions, gingerroot, red pepper and garlic in saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in 5 cups of the broth, the lentils, turmeric and salt.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 25 to 30 minutes, adding remaining stock if needed, until lentils are tender.
- Stir in tomato, coconut and mint.
- Serve over rice with yogurt.
This isn't all that soupy (I sort of expected as much), but I liked it just the same. I loved the flavor of the mint and the coconut and they went perfectly with the green onion. I added my tomato with the broth and lentils as we don't like uncooked tomato, but otherwise followed the recipe. Great exotic, but not too foreign flavors and I love the savory use of coconut and mint. I felt that there was a little something missing, but I couldn't quite place it. Maybe some fresh cilantro or some coconut milk or some lime juice? Not sure. But it was pretty good as-is!