1/3 Photos of Indian Lentil Soup (Dal Shorva)
André Grisell's Note:
An inexpensive, easy-to-make and delicious soup. This slightly modified recipe stems from Mumtaz Khan at Mumtaz Paan House in Bradford, England. Mung beans is the exquisite choice, but red or yellow lentils also make a delicious result (green lentils are not recommended). The chicken stock can be replaced with vegetable stock for a vegetarian variety. This recipe can also be made with less liquid and served as a stew.¨ Improvement, a little off tradition, but works even better: 1) Fry the lentils/beans for a few seconds in ghee before adding the spices and liquid. 2) Add just a little tomato purée (1 tsp) to the soup. 3) Add one diced potato together with the lentils/beans.
My Private Note
The ingredient amounts have been scaled to the new serving size. Any ingredient amounts, cooking times, and/or temperatures referenced in the directions still refer to the original serving size.
- 3 cups mung beans or 3 cups red lentils or 3 cups yellow lentils
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 -6 curry leaves or 4 -6 bay leaves
- 12 cups chicken stock (preferably home-made) or 12 cups vegetable stock (preferably home-made)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil or 6 tablespoons ghee
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 to taste salt and pepper
- 1 -2 lemon
- 1Rinse the beans or lentils.
- 2Bring to a boil with the stock, turmeric, Cayenne, cumin, cardamom and curry/bay leaves.
- 3Let simmer until the beans or lentils are very soft (ca 30 minutes).
- 4If using bay leaves, remove them now. Curry leaves can be left in the soup.
- 5Run the soup quickly in a blender to a not too smooth consistency (or mash the lentils/beans with a ladle).
- 6Sautee the garlic and mustard seeds lightly in the fat and add to the soup.
- 7Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 8Add salt, pepper and squeezed lemon to taste.
- 9Serve hot with pita or paratha bread.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Lentil Soup (Dal Shorva)
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.9
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 546.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 29.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: