Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rice with a exotic flavor.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds (or white if unavailable)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped dry roasted salted peanut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated lemon zest
- Rinse the rice and drain. Bring the rice, water, and salt to a boil and cook over low heat, until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch frying pan over moderately high heat. Cook the mustard seeds, stirring until the seeds begin to pop. Add the ginger and peanuts, and stir another 2 minutes. Add the turmeric, and stir one minute more.
- Add the spice mixture to the cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with the lemon zest.