Recipe by coconutty
Given to me by a friend - posted for safekeeping. I haven't tried this yet. Guesstimated cooking time: about 1.5 hours (the recipe did not specify the time).
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 -3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the meatballs:.
- Finely chop one yellow onion and mix it into the lamb. Add the ground cumin and the raw egg; mix together well.
- Handlng the meat as little as possible, form 1 ½” meatballs.
- Prepare the sauce:.
- Chop the second onion while heating some oil in a large soup pot. Cook the chopped onion for a few minutes until it turns golden – do not let it brown.
- Add curry powder, lower heat and add half the wine and the tomatoes. Let the sauce bubble on low heat until the oil rises to the surface,.
- Carefully add the meatballs to the pot. Add remaining wine and the whole garlic cloves.
- When the meatballs are half cooked, add the ground coriander.
- When finished cooking, turn off heat and sprinkle a half tablespoon of garram masalla over the top of the stew. Cover and let sit for a while.
- Serve with basmati rice and mango chutney.
- A couple of optional ingredients to add at the end:.
- a little creme fraiche (not more than about 7 Tablespoons).
- halved hard-boiled eggs - tuck them into the bottom of the pot.