1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Given to me by a friend - posted for safekeeping. I haven't tried this yet. Guesstimated cooking time: about 1.5 hours (the recipe did not specify the time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 -3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (optional)
- 1Prepare the meatballs:.
- 2Finely chop one yellow onion and mix it into the lamb. Add the ground cumin and the raw egg; mix together well.
- 3Handlng the meat as little as possible, form 1 ½” meatballs.
- 4Prepare the sauce:.
- 5Chop the second onion while heating some oil in a large soup pot. Cook the chopped onion for a few minutes until it turns golden – do not let it brown.
- 6Add curry powder, lower heat and add half the wine and the tomatoes. Let the sauce bubble on low heat until the oil rises to the surface,.
- 7Carefully add the meatballs to the pot. Add remaining wine and the whole garlic cloves.
- 8When the meatballs are half cooked, add the ground coriander.
- 9When finished cooking, turn off heat and sprinkle a half tablespoon of garram masalla over the top of the stew. Cover and let sit for a while.
- 10Serve with basmati rice and mango chutney.
- 12A couple of optional ingredients to add at the end:.
- 13a little creme fraiche (not more than about 7 Tablespoons).
- 14halved hard-boiled eggs - tuck them into the bottom of the pot.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Lamb Meatballs With Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.7
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 141.5 mg
- Sodium 109.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 27.6 g